VICAR FOR HUMANITARIAN & SPIRITUAL OUTREACH
To bind the wounds of Christ present in the poor and oppressed, the Office of Humanitarian and Spiritual Outreach oversees any project run by clergy and/or monastics which deals with issues of homelessness, poverty, HIV, addiction and related areas which are performed in a setting outside the conventional parish, monastic or convent setting. This outreach is primarily either street-based or situated where the disadvantaged gather or meet and offers physical and spiritual support to individuals in whom the suffering Christ is present to the Orthodox Christian community.
The Vicar for Humanitarian and Spiritual Outreach:
1. will report directly to the Metropolitan Prime Bishop of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in America;
2. will be guided by the mandate of the Lord Jesus Christ to help the suffering and the poor;
3. will keep a list of humanitarian, missionary outreach projects within the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in America world-wide;
4. will give technical support to any new or existing project in need of such support;
5. will, under the guidance of the Metropolitan Prime Bishop of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in America, give permission to all new humanitarian and/or street mission projects;
6. will create and maintain a website where humanitarian and/or street mission projects will be shared, so that others would be able to utilize it as a resource and a clearing-house of ideas;
7. will travel to locations requesting assistance in order to help initiate and/or evaluate ministries, depending upon the current resources of the Office of the Vicar.
Abbot Theophan (Fox)
Humanitarian & Social Outreach
Solus Christi Skete of the Holy Apostles